Welcome to yet another blog entry and thanks for following along. Let's get to it!
Meeting Aesclepius:
Mindfulness and meditation have brought about some small but very interesting changes in my daily life. Here's how I'll describe it to you: Have you ever read a book and paid attention to how the author describes a conversatiohn between two separate people? A very short convo between two people can take up to a few pages because the author, painstakingly, includes the minutia. He includes the facial cues, the body cues, the thoughts that pass between the two as the conversation unfolds. Have you ever noticed that? Yes? Well...that's how I'm able to look at conversations with other people now. Mind you, I travel for a licing and talk to tons of people I've never met every single month. This skill has truly helped me figure out exactly what the other person is trying to communicate regardless of their ability to communicate with words alone. I would assume that continuing these practices would only make my interactions with people that much better! Honestly, because I've only been doing these types of practices for these 7 weeks...who really knows what else I might notice. Interesting!
The saying, "One cannot lead another where one has not gone himself.", is one that we commonly practice in the military. We tell our soldiers that we would never ask them to do something that we would not ourselves do or be allowed to be asked by others to do. In that regard, the same applies to this profession because it would seem to be difficult to gauge a persons development if you had not traversed the same roads that your client has. How could you reasonably tell them that they're doing the right thing and improving appropriately? I would hope that a professional in this field would have an obligation to the development of his clients, however, I don't think it has to be in all three areas. I feel that people develop until they are comfortable with their development and comfortable in their lives. Could they be better? Perhaps. But that would be like giving the Pope tips on religion. Once you get to where you want to be, you should be allowed to foster the appreciation for it.
In my life, that implementation is coming by way of meditative practice. The longer I do it the better I get at it. I dig it!
Thanks,
James Banks
James,
ReplyDeleteI do agree with you about seeing the conversations of communications unfold differently because since I have been practicing the witness-mind and able to observe my thoughts, the pause in between that time I am acutely aware and can almost see where individuals conversation and body language is suggesting before they are entirely finished. It is an acute awareness that is developing and I like it as well. I am still managing witness-mind.
I have learned a long time ago to not give advice or try telling someone anything about something I have not done or witnessed or walked in their shoes before. That's ridiculous. I think that health care professionals should be aware of other aspects of healing and if they cannot give adequate counseling because of a lack of knowledge, then they should refer a patient out to someone who has that expertise.
James,
ReplyDeleteGreat example of soldiers and what is asked of them in relation to our exercise. I think it is almost impossible to help people by just counseling them or "lecturing" them if you have not been through something yourself. I do not like when someone says "Oh, I know how you feel" when really they have no clue and can't relate in any way to what you are going through.
Great post!
Kris Sinclair
Hi James,
ReplyDeleteI was thinking the same thing today...how my interactions with others have changed since I began this quest of personal knowledge. Unlike you, I prefer not to deal with people, so much so, that I chose (unconsciously) the one profession that is so well known for loners - accounting. I have tried to keep to myself at all times, be polite and courteous, but distant. People have noticed the change. I am much more willing to engage, have a much uplifted mood, and open desire to assist. I have always been the social worker type - feeling the need to help those who cross my path, but I think it was more a sense of duty than of loving-kindness and I grew to resent those I helped after they went their own way. Loving-kindness takes away the ego factor - you find yourself reaching out just to reach out - not for any form of validation or gratification; and like the law of attraction says, it comes back to you. Best of luck on your adventure and may you see many more surpises...
Carrie Lawson